Limit and Stop sell orders

Question

I have bought 100 shares in a company. I have set 2 ‘sell’ orders. One is a ‘stop’ sell order at a lower price to protect against significant losses and the other one is ‘limit’ sell order at a higher price that I would be happy to sell at for a reasonable profit. For some reason I can only put a quantity of 50 shares in for each order rather than the full quantity of 100. Is there a reason for this as only one of the orders will be reached at a single point? Not sure if I am missing something or if I have set my orders incorrectly somehow.

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

17 hours ago, Baxter77 said:

I have bought 100 shares in a company. I have set 2 ‘sell’ orders. One is a ‘stop’ sell order at a lower price to protect against significant losses and the other one is ‘limit’ sell order at a higher price that I would be happy to sell at for a reasonable profit. For some reason I can only put a quantity of 50 shares in for each order rather than the full quantity of 100. Is there a reason for this as only one of the orders will be reached at a single point? Not sure if I am missing something or if I have set my orders incorrectly somehow.

Thanks.

Hi, I don't use the share dealing platform but it looks like it wants to keep the second order open after one is executed, is there an OCO 'one cancels other' option? 

22 hours ago, Baxter77 said:

Thanks.

Hey @Baxter77 , thanks for your feedback message. 

With Share dealing accounts you can only place one type of sell order for the full amount of stock you hold. Meaning if you have 100 shares you will only be able to place one order to sell 100 shares. One way to work around this is have a stop order in place and set an alert at your desired sell price. 

@Caseynotes We don't offer 'one cancels other' orders yet on share dealing accounts but it is something many clients have requested. I will push this forward to our developers to see if it can be done and let you know as soon as I do. 

Thanks

• Thanks 1