API: How to delete a position, Java

KML

Question

Dear all,

I'm having trouble deleting a position using the API. As I understand https://labs.ig.com/rest-trading-api-reference/service-detail?id=678, I'm supposed to send a DELETE request with a body. But isn't a DELETE-request supposed to be without a body?

The line

HttpRequest request = HttpRequest.newBuilder().uri(URI.create(uri))
           .headers("Content-Type", "application/json; charset=UTF-8", "Accept", "application/json; charset=UTF-8",
            "Version", "2", "IG-ACCOUNT-ID", CAI,
            "X-IG-API-KEY", APIKEY, "CST", CST)
            .method("DELETE", HttpRequest.BodyPublishers.ofString(body))  
            .build();

returns a 404 not found error, but if I change DELETE to POST as in 

.headers("Content-Type", "application/json; charset=UTF-8", "Accept", "application/json; charset=UTF-8",
            .method("POST", HttpRequest.BodyPublishers.ofString(body))  
            .build();

I get an expected error {"errorCode":"invalid.request.format.line-1.column-3"}. Does this mean that I'm supposed to use the POST method anyway? How does it then know that I',m deleting the position and not creating a new one?

I could of course delete a long position by creating a short position and vice versa, but that looks a bit messier.

Thanks for any help or clarifications.

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, KML said:

Dear all,

I'm having trouble deleting a position using the API. As I understand https://labs.ig.com/rest-trading-api-reference/service-detail?id=678, I'm supposed to send a DELETE request with a body. But isn't a DELETE-request supposed to be without a body?

The line

.method("DELETE", HttpRequest.BodyPublishers.ofString(body))  
            .build();

returns a 404 not found error, but if I change DELETE to POST as in 

.method("POST", HttpRequest.BodyPublishers.ofString(body))  
            .build();

I get an expected error {"errorCode":"invalid.request.format.line-1.column-3"}. Does this mean that I'm supposed to use the POST method anyway? How does it then know that I',m deleting the position and not creating a new one?

I could of course delete a long position by creating a short position and vice versa, but that looks a bit messier.

Thanks for any help or clarifications.

Dear @KML,

Thank you for your post, please note that many members on our community can assist with complex API-related queries. You can check out posts and replies by @andysinclair and @bug-or-feature on similar topics.

Thanks,

KoketsoIG

- KoketsoIG

27 minutes ago, bug-or-feature said:

The way you do it is to create a POST, and a header named "_method" with value "DELETE"

I was just about to reply with this.

I have it working with the following in the body: dealId, size, direction and orderType

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all your replies! Highly appreciated! 🙂

However, I'm still not able to cross the finish line. If I proved the following headers:
{_method=[DELETE], Accept=[application/json; charset=UTF-8], Content-Type=[application/json; charset=UTF-8], CST=[removed], IG-ACCOUNT-ID=[removed], Version=[2], X-IG-API-KEY=[removed]}

I get the 404 File not found error.

However, when I use the following headers:
{Accept=[application/json; charset=UTF-8], Content-Type=[application/json; charset=UTF-8], CST=[removed], IG-ACCOUNT-ID=[removed], Version=[2], X-IG-API-KEY=[removed]}

I get {"errorCode":"validation.null-not-allowed.request.expiry"} which is expected as I don't provide sufficient information to create a new position. (I guess that is what IG thinks I'm trying to do when I don't add the _method= DELETE?

Any ide what I'm missing/misunderstanding?

I still have the option to delete a position by creating a new with a opposite buy/sell attribute, but it would feel more satisfying making this work. 🙂