I loooove hindsight!

OK but can you learn from it?  It is all well and good seeing where history tells you you should have made a trade but was there a way to get sufficient indicators to actually trade it?  This is where you need a methodology to provide insights into where in the cycle a market is and where the breakouts might occur.  There are several different methods on display on the forum and a wealth of information available to research and practice, isn't this what you need to do?

I am always amazed that the majority of people come into this with no training and no study months put in.  Is there any other field of endeavor where people would expect to succeed without training and practice?  And by the way I include myself in that group as that was exactly what I did at first too.  Cost me a lot to learn the hard way...

@Mercury

Where is the sense and methodology in a market that drops 5 - 6% after a Donald Trump tweet and then recoups 100% of its losses and then some in the space of three days?

The answer is no, I can't really - because whether or not the price will follow the indicators is uncertain.  All I can do is limit the amount that I might lose.

Edited by dmedin

Ah well there is one area we differ @dmedin.  I don't care what Trump, or anyone else tweets not why the market participants chose to send the market down and then back up.  I just care that it follows my road map and triggers my trading set ups, which it did, both ways.  I chose to make sense of the market through the use of technical analysis, which at its heart is about mapping human psychology acting within a crowd.  This is not new, the main elements were developed as much as a hundred years ago and still work today because people have not changed.  They say the market has memory.  That isn't really accurate.  What is really happening is that market participants (humans) are reacting to similar sets of circumstances in similar ways - Fear and Greed; Greed and Fear never-ending.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TrendFollower said:

@dmedin,

The key is to have a trading methodology that can help you to make assumptions, predictions and forecasts based on the signals / indicators you choose to put the odds and probability more in your favour in terms of which direction the trend is going to take and which trades are more likely than not to go in your favour than not. Trading is all about using the data and tools at our disposable to make these accurate assumptions, predictions and forecasts as we are trading in real time basing our trading decisions on future price action and what we think is more likely to happen than not. 

I have been trying since September last year and have not found a single method that can be consistently profitable on any time frame in any market ...

Probably time to quit and stick to 2% saving accounts.  That's better than losing thousands of pounds :D

• Sad 1

I was anticipating the spike of the FTSe Yesterday.  Went up in two stages.  I marked where I would have placed at both points.  At the end of the day, I'd have pocketed £200.

So i figured, OK, I was right on those 2, I'll get on board.  Now I figured, it was due a pull back after those 2 ups, but went against my gut to Follow The Trend.

Went down lolololol.  -£23.

So now today, watching Uber and FTSE.  Figured both going down.  put them side by side and figured i'd go with Uber, but marked my short of the FTSE.

Uber went up and cost me £13, and FTSE went south...would have pocekted £85 lololololololol.

I can't win.

Even when I'm right I'm wrong!

Edited by nit2wynit
  • Thought provoking 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    CJO
    Joined 09/12/22 18:29
    • Week ahead 12/12/22: Fed, BoE, ECB decisions With little or no corporate data we focus in on central bank decisions at the Federal Reserve (Fed), Bank of England (BoE) and European Central Bank (ECB). IGTV senior analyst, Joshua Mahony, discusses trades around the volatility index, the VIX, EUR/USD and the S&P 500.      
    • Charting the Markets: 9 December FTSE 100, DAX 40 and CAC 40 regain lost ground ahead of US PPI data. EUR/USD, GBP/USD, and AUD/USD look to continue their bullish two-month trend. And gold and natural gas edge higher but oil prices keep falling.         This is here for you to catch up but if you have any ideas on markets or events you want us to relay to the TV team we’re more than happy to.
    • EUR/USD, GBP/USD and AUD/USD look to continue their bullish two-month trend EUR/USD, GBP/USD and AUD/USD look set to continue their bullish momentum, with recent worries cast aside for now.    Joshua Mahony | Senior Market Analyst, London | Publication date: Friday 09 December 2022  EUR/USD continues to push higher after recent pullback EUR/USD has seen a more upbeat tone over the second half of the week, with the dollar strength seen on Monday and Tuesday fading to give way to another push higher for this pair. Markets appear to be in a state of flux, with inflationary concerns reemerging in the wake of last Friday’s jump in US average earnings. Today sees the release of the US producer price index (PPI) inflation figure, bringing potential volatility if we see factory prices head higher. China certainly has little to worry about on that front, with both consumer price index (CPI) (1.6%) and PPI (-1.3%) well below target thanks to cheap Russian fuel and lockdown restrictions. For EUR/USD, we would need to see a move back below the $1.029 swing-low to bring about a fresh bearish signal after two-months of upside for the pair. Until then, the bulls remain in the driving seat. Source: ProRealTime GBP/USD pushing back into key resistance GBP/USD also saw a somewhat downbeat start to the week, with the pair heading lower from the crucial $1.2293 swing-high resistance level. That August high provides a crucial hurdle up ahead for bulls, with a push through that point bringing expectations of another leg higher from here. The uptrend in place over the course of the past two-months has brought expectations of further upside unless we see that ongoing pattern of higher lows end. With that in mind, a bullish view holds unless the price falls back below the $1.19 level. Keep an eye out for the UK consumer inflation expectations figure released at 9.30am this morning. Source: ProRealTime AUD/USD struggling to maintain recovery pace AUD/USD has similarly been attempting to regain ground today, with the gains seen across EUR/USD and GBP/USD failing to carry through here. This could signal a potential waning of the bullish momentum, with the fact that these pair have been slowing in their ascent of late serving to highlight the potential for another bearish reversal in the near-future. That would tally up with what is happening in equity markets, which have shown initial tentative signs of a turnaround before long. With that in mind, watch out for a break back below the $0.664 level to signal a bearish turn for this pair. Until then, the uptrend evident over the past two-months does remain in play. Source: ProRealTime