2 Factor Authentication Please

Guest Feedback Trader

Guest Feedback Trader

Hey everyone,

it's 2020 and I really need a IG 2FA 😨 here with apps like Authy, Lastpass or Google Authenticator to secure my IG Account. Please let users create Auth Codes for 2FA, Backupcodes and so on. Please do not implement own 2FA Apps. No one does this anymore.

The built in option is so out of date - and in the app store you never do updates! 

PLEASE Ig - implement a 2FA. Even banks do have authentication. Why not the best of them - IG ❤️ ? Look at facebook, instagram, github, apple, coinbase... And if I am really lucky you will also build an option to allow us traders a login with USB Hardware Keys.

"""Two Factor Authentication gives the user and system administrator a peace of mind as it ensures that even if the users password is compromised the account cannot be accessed without also knowing not only the method used as the second factor but also having access to the second factor such as a dynamically generated one-time password (OTP) or biological token."""

If you need more Feedback on 2FA please feel free to contact me. I can give you a lot of superb examples.

Thank you.

Your

Feedback Trader

On 23/06/2020 at 23:11, Guest Feedback Trader said:

Hey everyone,

it's 2020 and I really need a IG 2FA 😨 here with apps like Authy, Lastpass or Google Authenticator to secure my IG Account. Please let users create Auth Codes for 2FA, Backupcodes and so on. Please do not implement own 2FA Apps. No one does this anymore.

The built in option is so out of date - and in the app store you never do updates! 

PLEASE Ig - implement a 2FA. Even banks do have authentication. Why not the best of them - IG ❤️ ? Look at facebook, instagram, github, apple, coinbase... And if I am really lucky you will also build an option to allow us traders a login with USB Hardware Keys.

"""Two Factor Authentication gives the user and system administrator a peace of mind as it ensures that even if the users password is compromised the account cannot be accessed without also knowing not only the method used as the second factor but also having access to the second factor such as a dynamically generated one-time password (OTP) or biological token."""

If you need more Feedback on 2FA please feel free to contact me. I can give you a lot of superb examples.

Thank you.

Your

Feedback Trader

Thanks for your feedback. 

We had 2FA but there were some issues for some clients, I will pass this onto our development and technical team to investigate. 

We understand your trading sites need protecting so I will let them know it's vital for some traders. 

All the best 

Guest Feedback Trader

Thank you @CharlotteIG I am really looking forward to this.Without 2FA I really feel uncomfortable 😣 and I really do need this. I find myself checking my account too many times a day. I would have fewer withdrawals and deposits if I knew my account is absolutely secure.

@dmedin

absolutely. IG does provide API Trading but no 2FA.

2FA at least via Google/MS Authenticator is a must. IG Authenticator is way too cumbersome to login with daily to glance my positions, particularly when the password is masked.

It would be WAY better if it could utilise push notification via mobile device, the way Microsoft Passport works. Clients should feel encouraged in using this without it being an obstacle.

• Like 2
Guest Trader Joe
On 26/06/2020 at 05:58, dmedin said:

The thought of having thousands of pounds protected only by a password makes me cringe ...

Hey who wants to "steal" your pounds?  They can't move your monies to their bank accounts.  IG only pay to your authenticated linked bank account.  Think about it ok?  Stop worrying and trade happily.

Guest Trader Joe
On 26/06/2020 at 05:58, dmedin said:

The thought of having thousands of pounds protected only by a password makes me cringe ...

Hey who wants to "steal" your pounds? They can't withdraw your monies into their bank accounts.  IG only pay out into your authenticated linked bank account anyway.  Stop worrying and start trading happily.

• 1 month later...
On 04/07/2020 at 10:47, Guest Trader Joe said:

Hey who wants to "steal" your pounds? They can't withdraw your monies into their bank accounts.  IG only pay out into your authenticated linked bank account anyway.  Stop worrying and start trading happily.

At the risk of going against the grain if you do implement this please give users the ability to either use it or not and don't make it a requirement please. I hate having to use 2FA in situations where it's not needed and my equipment is secure and not everyone is married to their phone. The current login method is fine by me and quick, no hassle. And as GTJ above pointed out, as far as I'm aware no one can steal your money, it can only go back to your cards and bank accounts.

Am perfectly fine if others require 2FA but would be livid if IG changed this and not give users the ability to use the old login method as well. I hate being treated like a child, am quite capable of ascertaining what is at risk or not without it being forced upon me.

15 minutes ago, phoenix said:

Am perfectly fine if others require 2FA but would be livid if IG changed this and not give users the ability to use the old login method as well. I hate being treated like a child, am quite capable of ascertaining what is at risk or not without it being forced upon me.

Do you use online banking?

It doesn't matter how great you think you are, that's not the point.  If IG's internal systems get hacked, your money is gone.

I suggest you get some education on this matter before you proffer your opinion.

Edited by dmedin
20 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Everyone does but honestly I don't see the same issue here as none of my money can be moved to someone else's account. If someone wants to go to the lengths of hacking into my account just to look at my positions, they are welcome 🙂. My point is I just prefer the ease of quick login esp during volatile periods and when IG systems are down and only certain users can log in (which has happened a few times recently). Same when you want to add funds, if the market is moving quickly, I'd rather not have the extra 15-30secs (or longer) it may take to do it, sometimes it makes a difference. Well in my case it has anyway so its pretty important to me. Without going into detail, I guess everyone's situation is different.

I don't have an issue at all if IG implement 2FA, by all means go for it, keeps everyone pleased. I just don't want to be forced to use it unless I think its necessary for me and then I may think of doing it. I think everyone should have a choice as far as possible. That way everyone's happy 😀

Edited by phoenix
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It has been more than 6 months and IG has not done anything. The 2FA app is out dated. At least make IG log in form with password and 2FA code separated fields so that it is less error prone to copy and paste. Common, look at competitors, trading212, HL, their apps are way better

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

People have mentioned that it is only possible to move your money to the linked bank account and that is sufficient for protection. While that is true, a mischievous hacker can still buy garbage instruments and drain your money, even if they may not get a penny of it. Why would they do that? Well, why do vandals exist? 

Is it the same two factor authentication factor mechanism that is used for IG ISA account as well? I'm with HL and CSD already and they both have memorable word protection at least, where you only enter some of the letters of that word meaning the probability of someone getting all letters of the memorable word on top of the password is significantly reduced. In some ways that could be even better than 2FA apps like Authy if their recovery passwords are stored in the same place as you store the rest of your passwords.

In any case, I would like IG to support these 2FA apps. It would have made me less hesitant to open an IG ISA.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2022 at 13:53, Charlie7 said:

Is there any feedback from the development team if this is on the roadmap?

On 10/01/2022 at 13:49, IThinkImInvesting said:

If IG's internal systems gets hacked would 2FA help anymore?

On 10/01/2022 at 13:42, IThinkImInvesting said:

People have mentioned that it is only possible to move your money to the linked bank account and that is sufficient for protection. While that is true, a mischievous hacker can still buy garbage instruments and drain your money, even if they may not get a penny of it. Why would they do that? Well, why do vandals exist? 

Is it the same two factor authentication factor mechanism that is used for IG ISA account as well? I'm with HL and CSD already and they both have memorable word protection at least, where you only enter some of the letters of that word meaning the probability of someone getting all letters of the memorable word on top of the password is significantly reduced. In some ways that could be even better than 2FA apps like Authy if their recovery passwords are stored in the same place as you store the rest of your passwords.

In any case, I would like IG to support these 2FA apps. It would have made me less hesitant to open an IG ISA.

On 01/11/2021 at 18:43, blobface said:

A year on, still no go on the industry standards. Please escalate this to higher priority... 

On 22/04/2021 at 13:24, rittfeldt said:

Imagine every service you use with 2fa use their own solution. I cannot se why IG can't use industry standards as suggested in the thread? Are they considered at all for the (near-ish) future?

On 18/02/2021 at 15:24, dak said:

It has been more than 6 months and IG has not done anything. The 2FA app is out dated. At least make IG log in form with password and 2FA code separated fields so that it is less error prone to copy and paste. Common, look at competitors, trading212, HL, their apps are way better

On 30/01/2021 at 12:52, dirufan said:

Please adopt an industry standard implementation for 2FA. 

On 21/08/2020 at 20:28, phoenix said:

Everyone does but honestly I don't see the same issue here as none of my money can be moved to someone else's account. If someone wants to go to the lengths of hacking into my account just to look at my positions, they are welcome 🙂. My point is I just prefer the ease of quick login esp during volatile periods and when IG systems are down and only certain users can log in (which has happened a few times recently). Same when you want to add funds, if the market is moving quickly, I'd rather not have the extra 15-30secs (or longer) it may take to do it, sometimes it makes a difference. Well in my case it has anyway so its pretty important to me. Without going into detail, I guess everyone's situation is different.

I don't have an issue at all if IG implement 2FA, by all means go for it, keeps everyone pleased. I just don't want to be forced to use it unless I think its necessary for me and then I may think of doing it. I think everyone should have a choice as far as possible. That way everyone's happy 😀

On 21/08/2020 at 20:09, dmedin said:

It doesn't matter how great you think you are, that's not the point.  If IG's internal systems get hacked, your money is gone.

I suggest you get some education on this matter before you proffer your opinion.

On 21/08/2020 at 19:54, phoenix said:

At the risk of going against the grain if you do implement this please give users the ability to either use it or not and don't make it a requirement please. I hate having to use 2FA in situations where it's not needed and my equipment is secure and not everyone is married to their phone. The current login method is fine by me and quick, no hassle. And as GTJ above pointed out, as far as I'm aware no one can steal your money, it can only go back to your cards and bank accounts.

On 05/07/2020 at 18:35, Packman11 said:

IG International doesn't even have the 2FA option, really disturbing :(

On 01/07/2020 at 15:48, tommy8A said:

You're right on that one.

On 01/07/2020 at 09:42, ShaunnyB said:

2FA at least via Google/MS Authenticator is a must. IG Authenticator is way too cumbersome to login with daily to glance my positions, particularly when the password is masked.

It would be WAY better if it could utilise push notification via mobile device, the way Microsoft Passport works. Clients should feel encouraged in using this without it being an obstacle.

On 26/06/2020 at 11:23, Guest Feedback Trader said:

Thank you @CharlotteIG I am really looking forward to this.Without 2FA I really feel uncomfortable 😣 and I really do need this. I find myself checking my account too many times a day. I would have fewer withdrawals and deposits if I knew my account is absolutely secure.

@dmedin

absolutely. IG does provide API Trading but no 2FA.

On 24/06/2020 at 00:11, Guest Feedback Trader said:

Hey everyone,

Thank you.

Your

Feedback Trader

Hi Community members,

We will be hosting a IG Client Feedback Session - Multi-Factor Authentication. Please see below for more details.

All the best - MongiIG

• 2 months later...

Have there been any improvements? I would have attended this feedback session if I had seen the above post in time.

IG's log in security really needs to be updated on the apps, website and phone. I have had an IG trading account for a very long time but this 2FA issue is making me consider moving to another spreadbet broker such as OANDA or Pepperstone. 

• 1 month later...

@MongiIG Thanks for noting that. Are there anymore recent updates here? The current system is absolutely *awful* for the following reasons:

1) You need an additional app, when everyone already has generic authenticator apps they use for all of their other accounts (mainly Google Authenticator, and sometimes Authy)

2) You have to concatenate the code onto your password. This conflicts with form autosubmit when your credentials are automatically filled. The browser will also ask if we would like to update our password *every time* we log in because of this

3) I have to special-case how I do my IG authentication because it decided to roll its own solution. This is such a pain when it comes to managing security across my many accounts online

It would be great if security here could be improved and prioritised! Thanks.

14 hours ago, tpunt94 said:

@MongiIG Thanks for noting that. Are there anymore recent updates here? The current system is absolutely *awful* for the following reasons:

1) You need an additional app, when everyone already has generic authenticator apps they use for all of their other accounts (mainly Google Authenticator, and sometimes Authy)

2) You have to concatenate the code onto your password. This conflicts with form autosubmit when your credentials are automatically filled. The browser will also ask if we would like to update our password *every time* we log in because of this

3) I have to special-case how I do my IG authentication because it decided to roll its own solution. This is such a pain when it comes to managing security across my many accounts online

Hi @tpunt94

Thanks, I will follow up with our development team with an update.

All the best - MongiIG

On 13/09/2022 at 22:37, tpunt94 said:

Hi @tpunt94

The development team is currently working on improving the MFA process and the proposed concept will not include our own app and eliminate the issues with autofill.

All the best - MongiIG

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Yes please make MFA optional - not mandatory.  Not all Brokers have this yet.

One of my now former brokers use the national public MFA, and I really felt the "two points of failure" more than once. Where the authenticator then denied me any access to my platform. Not funny at all when in a trade, lucky they had a fast direct line to the tradingfloor.