Jump to content
  • 0

Position currency

Question

I have a GBP spreadbet account, if I open a position on NASDAQ which is a USD asset, is my money converted to USD and are all the calculations on how much equity and margin I have all done against the last exchange rate GBPUSD?

Share this post


Link to post

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 hour ago, ChristianS said:

I have a GBP spreadbet account, if I open a position on NASDAQ which is a USD asset, is my money converted to USD and are all the calculations on how much equity and margin I have all done against the last exchange rate GBPUSD?

Hi, yes the currency needs to be converted, this is done automatically, see this page for examples.

https://www.ig.com/usermanagement/customeragreements?igCompany=igau&agreementType=costs_and_charges&locale=en_GB

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 hours ago, ChristianS said:

I have a GBP spreadbet account, if I open a position on NASDAQ which is a USD asset, is my money converted to USD and are all the calculations on how much equity and margin I have all done against the last exchange rate GBPUSD?

The NASDAQ is not really a USD asset, it is an index.

When you spreadbet on the NASDAQ you are betting an amount of GBP per point move in the index. There is no GBPUSD conversion to take into account.

The amount of margin required is based on how much (GBP) per point you bet. See here for details:

https://www.ig.com/uk/help-and-support/spread-betting-and-cfds/fees-and-charges/what-are-igs-indices-spread-bet-product-details

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
9 minutes ago, andysinclair said:

The NASDAQ is not really a USD asset, it is an index.

When you spreadbet on the NASDAQ you are betting an amount of GBP per point move in the index. There is no GBPUSD conversion to take into account.

The amount of margin required is based on how much (GBP) per point you bet. See here for details:

https://www.ig.com/uk/help-and-support/spread-betting-and-cfds/fees-and-charges/what-are-igs-indices-spread-bet-product-details

oh ok, so is this IG example of a cfd trade on the Dax showing currency conversion not correct then?

ps, taken from Oz IG so uses AUD rather than GBP.

image.png.dd1528b4a3b9fa2a0a147a983998d96e.png

Edited by Caseynotes

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

oh ok, so is this IG example of a cfd trade on the Dax showing currency conversion not correct then?

ps, taken from Oz IG so uses AUD rather than GBP.

image.png.dd1528b4a3b9fa2a0a147a983998d96e.png

The question was about spreadbetting not CFDs. CFDs are quite different and like you point out do have an exchange rate factor if the instrument is quoted in a currency different to your account currency.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, andysinclair said:

The question was about spreadbetting not CFDs. CFDs are quite different and like you point out do have an exchange rate factor if the instrument is quoted in a currency different to your account currency.

no, CFDs aren't 'quite different', spread bets are CFDs, spread bets are a legacy from the early days (1970s) when the whole ball game came under the Gaming (betting) Commission rules rather than the Financial Services Commission (FSC) rules.

That  keeps them in a different UK tax bracket which is why SBs are not available anywhere outside the UK.

The tax bracketing is the only real difference between SBs and CFDs that I'm aware of but would be happy if someone could prove this is incorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

With CFDs you can choose between contracts for the same indice

and if the account is GBP and the contract is in USD then you need to convert GBP to USD

 

GBP.png

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Member Statistics

    • Total Topics
      13,162
    • Total Posts
      66,788
    • Total Members
      89,603
    Newest Member
    Joey23
    Joined 01/12/20 15:42
  • Posts

    • Thanks for clarifying. The support person clearly did not understand this at all, and the website is very vague! The 0.5% is something I'm used to from other platforms, and much easier to absorb as a cost on small positions when making a good entry
    • There was another fork the other day - Bitcoin Latinum - the world's largest "insured" digital asset. One wonders if every time another variant is created it simply draws away potential investors from the original version. I bet committed Bitcoiners wish these variants would all just fork off 😉 I saw something the other day that happened to mention that a Bitcoin was worth about 10 ounces of Gold.......then it hit me - would I prefer to be offered one Bitcoin out there in the ether or ten ounces of physical Gold in my actual possession? 10 Bitcoin to buy a single ounce of Gold intuitively feels like the more sensible way around as I'm certain that Gold is safe but several times less certain that Bitcoin is - so we could be out by a factor of 100! But whilst fund managers all start allocating the odd fractional percent to get exposure to Alpha for minimal portfolio downside the price will probably hold or bubble up even more. It will be interesting though  if national regulators later turn round and ban funds from holding cryptos - then they will all have to rush for the exit at the same time. Maybe that's the ultimate expected outcome.  According to Wikipedia in March 2018 0.5% of bitcoin wallets owned 87% of all bitcoins ever mined. Imagine if  transferring that 87% to fund managers at peak prices is the intended end-game before it all collapses? It would make Bernie Madoff look like a mere pick-pocket.  
×
×