Short Selling

Question

With the old platform I was able to short stocks but now I am unable and says I have not bought any stocks to sell (long). In short now I can only trade long and not short.

9 answers to this question

you can short on spread betting and CFD trading ? or  I can.

Posted (edited)

That's interesting.  I asked the same question (can you short sell real stocks, paying all the money upfront), as it might be an attractive proposition for smaller companies that aren't available to short via CFD (or the spread is ridiculous).  Zero interest, but it sure would be goshdarn cool if you could.  (And I might)

Edited by dmedin

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, dmedin said:

That's interesting.  I asked the same question (can you short sell real stocks, paying all the money upfront), as it might be an attractive proposition for smaller companies that aren't available to short via CFD (or the spread is ridiculous).  Zero interest, but it sure would be goshdarn cool if you could.  (And I might)

'Paying all the money upfront' - lol actually you get money upfront, but you pay IG the commission etc.

@CharlotteIG can we still do this 😘

Edited by dmedin

"This is typically a practice of large institutions rather than individual investors, but some brokers will facilitate short-selling."

presumably, if they can borrow them.

• Thought provoking 1

10 minutes ago, dmedin said:

🤔😍

you're not going to take on Elon are you 😳

• Great! 1

With us you can short stock on leveraged accounts but we don't allow clients to do 100% margin (1:1 leverage) . 

On 27/02/2020 at 14:42, Gherardo said:

With the old platform I was able to short stocks but now I am unable and says I have not bought any stocks to sell (long). In short now I can only trade long and not short.

If you're referring to the non-leveraged (share dealing/ ISA) you cannot do this unless you've bought the stock. If it's on a leveraged account it may be that the stock's unborrowable. If you call our dealing desk they will be able to check if we can borrow anymore.