Leverage.

I don't understand what leverage has got to do with spread betting. Surely, spread betting is just that - a bet. If I bet £1 a point that the market goes up then every point it goes up I win £1. If it goes down then I lose £i for every point, simple. I understand margin, it's the amount of exposure that the broker allows according the equity in my account, but leverage seems irrelevant to spread betting ?

On 25/07/2020 at 22:48, jaykay said:

I don't understand what leverage has got to do with spread betting. Surely, spread betting is just that - a bet. If I bet £1 a point that the market goes up then every point it goes up I win £1. If it goes down then I lose £i for every point, simple. I understand margin, it's the amount of exposure that the broker allows according the equity in my account, but leverage seems irrelevant to spread betting ?

all of the above but just to add that margin is leverage, just looking at it from the other side, so

leverage 1:30 = 3.33% margin  (1/30 = 0.0333 x 100/1 =  3.33%)

1:20 = 5%

1:10 = 10%

1:5  =  20%

1:2  =  50%

• Thought provoking 1
2 hours ago, dmedin said:

Every single one of you has hilariously missed the OP's point completely.

The OP has an incorrect understanding of Margin.  If he refreshes his knowledge then he will also understand how it relates to Leverage, and then will understand that it is not irrelevant to spread betting on the IG platform.

Most replies are guiding towards resources to help him improve his understanding and increase his knowledge on this.  That a good example of a community being helpful.  

No one is debating his interpretation of the P&L impact of price movements in the asset being bet on.  

5 hours ago, jaykay said:

dmedin

Yes I think you get my drift ! Thanks.

Everyone is suggesting that I don't understand the concept of leverage. I am beginning to wonder if they understand the concept of spread betting.🙃

I never assumed that you needed help with understanding what leverage is. 

Again, if you read the link I sent, it  might help you to understand why they say that spread betting is a "leveraged" product.

Edited by jlz
  • Sad 1

Thank you jlz

I have read your link to the highly esteemed Investopedia and I can find absolutely no reference to spread betting being a leveraged product. In fact, it seems to concur with my original post, that spread betting is betting and has no relevance to leverage.

Dmedin makes the point that the so called leverage as referred to in spread betting is 'notional'. I agree. but I would go further and suggest that margin in spread betting is equity to protect a spread betting company's interests in the case of a 'black swan event'.

For example - if you had not put a stop loss and the market suddenly tanked or like when the Swiss Franc made a dramatic short in 2011. 

Investopedia does make reference to spread betting companies adding small margin to the spread but this is not leverage or margin in the sense that I am referring to here.

IG say that they balance their book, winning clients against losing clients that their profits come from the spread, which is what spread betting is all about.

Perhaps IG would correct me if I am wrong ?

But I will lay 10/1 against. 😉

Edited by jaykay
spelling
9 minutes ago, jaykay said:

Thank you jlz

I have read your link to the highly esteemed Investopedia and I can find absolutely no reference to spread betting being a leveraged product. In fact, it seems to concur with my original post, that spread betting is betting and has no relevance to leverage.

Dmedin makes the point that the so called leverage as referred to in spread betting is 'notional'. I agree. but I would go further and suggest that margin in spread betting is equity to protect a spread betting company's interests in the case of a 'black swan event'.

For example - if you had not put a stop loss and the market suddenly tanked or like when the Swiss Franc made a dramatic short in 2011. 

Investopedia does make reference to spread betting companies adding small margin to the spread but this is not leverage or margin in the sense that I am referring to here.

IG say that they balance their book, winning clients against losing clients that their profits come from the spread, which is what spread betting is all about.

Perhaps IG would correct me if I am wrong ?

But I will lay 10/1 against. 😉

Leverage is margin, margin is leverage. Spread bets are CFDs with a name and interface change to get it under UK tax laws.

IG matches trades in-house as far as possible and the residual is hedged on the open market.

The margin is not notional at all, the capital you put up is far less than your total exposure.

If you're going to listen to the likes of gutter mouth Dmedin you are going to lose a lot of money (just like him).

Discover the benefits of spread betting

"Trading using leverage magnifies profits and losses, as these are calculated based on the full value of the position, not just the initial deposit. This makes it important to create a suitable risk management strategy and to consider the full amount of capital that you are putting at risk."

image.png.0cca4eeaa76a75b0c158e3bccffc3484.png

3 hours ago, jaykay said:

Thank you jlz

I have read your link to the highly esteemed Investopedia and I can find absolutely no reference to spread betting being a leveraged product. In fact, it seems to concur with my original post, that spread betting is betting and has no relevance to leverage...

Adding to what Caseynotes said, margin is leverage and is not to protect the broker, it is to protect the small retail trader. When talking about spread betting, margin and leverage are used to define the same concept. 

The link I sent refers to the ESMA regulations, there are multiple references to spread betting and there is a specific paragraph related to IG, noting that they claim to do a different kind of business compared with other brokers:

https://www.thearmchairtrader.com/spread-betting-cfd-changes-under-the-new-esma-leverage-rules/

In this link they go in detail about the specific margin required to trade on spread betting and CFDs, you can see how the title is labeled as "leverage restrictions" and in the text the use the word "margin". 

Margin is there to protect the small retail trader for one simple reason, there are many people that don't understand that trades can go against you and can wipe your account in minutes. Margin requirements are bound to the usual price fluctuations in a market, if you look at any market you will see that your margin depends on the price as well as the average volatility, so you are "forced" to have an stop that is defined at least by your margin. Meaning that if you don't have enough funds in your account to support a margin call you shouldn't trade in that market at all.

Before those regulations came in place, what happened is that people didn't account the usual price volatility in their trades so they didn't have enough funds to support the trade going against them, resulting in either getting a stop call or a negative balance in their account. 

I know it is easier to think that brokers are in the dark side but those regulations are coming from the ESMA . At the time those regulations came in place pretty much every single broker tried to stop them. They sent many emails out saying they were trying to stop the enforcement of the regulation. Of course, think about that they had many retail trades that went to trade with 1K knowing nothing about trading, getting stopped and wiped in days. 
Those regulations stopped many people opening an account because 1K wasn't enough to play anymore, it wasn't ever enough but after the regulations were enforced, it became obvious. So the regulations went directly against any broker business.

Edited by jlz
  • Sad 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Natural Gas Mode - Larger degree bullish correction Structure - Impulse wave C (circled) of Flat Position - Wave (4) Direction - Wave (4) is still in play Details:  It appears the price is now correcting lower in wave (4). Alternatively, this could be 2nd wave of an extended wave 5 of (3). We need more price data to be sure. However, the former is more likely. Natural Gas Elliott Wave Analysis Since late February 2024, natural gas has rebounded over 80% after hitting its lowest price since mid-2020. The commodity is poised to continue higher, potentially reaching new highs not seen since 2023. However, in the long term, this recovery could be part of the retracement of the bearish trend that began in October 2022, when prices were around $10.   Daily Chart Analysis: On the daily chart, a bearish impulse wave started at $10.029 in August 2022 and completed at $1.944 in April 2023. Following a bearish impulse, a bullish correction typically ensues, which is what the current price action represents. The pattern emerging is an irregular flat correction. Wave A and B (circled) concluded at $3.666 and $1.524 respectively. The price is now advancing in an impulse structure corresponding to wave C (circled). Wave C might terminate near $3.666 or possibly breach it. The impulse structure from $1.524 is crucial in determining the completion point of the corrective phase from $1.944.   H4 Chart Analysis: On the H4 chart, the impulse for wave C (circled) has completed the first three sub-waves, i.e., waves (1), (2), and (3) of the intermediate degree. The 4th wave is emerging downwards, potentially forming a zigzag structure based on its initial appearance. It appears that wave A of (C) is still ongoing, indicating that wave (4) has not yet completed. The corrective decline could extend to the Fibonacci zone between $2.56 and $2.37 before wave (5), which has the potential to reach or even exceed the $3.666 high from October 2023, starts.   Summary: Natural gas has seen a significant recovery since late February 2024, bouncing back over 80% from its mid-2020 low. This recovery is likely a part of the retracement of the bearish trend from October 2022.    On the daily chart, a bearish impulse wave concluded in April 2023, followed by an upward correction that seems to be forming an irregular flat pattern. Wave A and B have ended, and wave C is advancing. The impulse structure from $1.524 will be critical in determining the completion of the corrective phase.   On the H4 chart, the impulse for wave C has completed the first three sub-waves, with wave (4) now developing. The corrective decline might continue to the Fibonacci zone of $2.56 to $2.37 before wave (5) begins, potentially reaching or surpassing the $3.666 high from October 2023. Traders should monitor these key levels to anticipate the next phase of the bullish correction. Technical Analyst : Sanmi Adeagbo Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
    • In the ever-evolving financial markets, particularly within the realm of stock trading, fraud and scams are rampant. William Mason, a seasoned financial expert at the age of 48, has dedicated his career to investor education and protection. With his extensive experience and achievements in the finance sector, Mason provides invaluable guidance on how investors can safeguard themselves against stock market scams. Recognizing and Avoiding Stock Market Scams Despite the lucrative opportunities in the stock market, the risks are equally significant. William Mason highlights several key points that investors must always be vigilant about: Too-Good-to-Be-True Promises: Scammers often lure victims with promises of high returns and zero risk. Mason emphasizes that every investment carries inherent risks; there is no such thing as a guaranteed profit. Opaque Investment Advice: Some scams involve misleading information and fabricated expert recommendations. Mason advises investors to verify the source of information and avoid blindly trusting so-called experts. Complex Trading Systems: Overly complicated and hard-to-understand trading systems may conceal exorbitant fees and hidden risks. The “William Trend Momentum Portfolio System” advocates for clear and straightforward investment strategies, enabling investors to understand their investment positions better. Urgent Investment Opportunities: Scammers often create a sense of urgency, pressuring investors into making hasty decisions. Mason cautions that any investment requiring quick decisions should be approached with extreme caution. William Mason’s Anti-Scam Initiatives To better protect investors, William Mason has not only developed a reliable trading platform but also actively promotes anti-scam knowledge. Through blog posts, video tutorials, and social media, he shares investment experiences and educates investors on recognizing and avoiding potential scams. His app includes specific scam alerts and risk warning features, ensuring users can identify and steer clear of common scam traps during their trading activities. Mason also hosts regular online seminars, interacting with investors, answering their questions, and further enhancing their awareness of investment security. Upholding a Positive Image and Setting Industry Standards William Mason exemplifies integrity and professionalism, becoming a role model in preventing stock market scams. His actions demonstrate how a dedicated financial expert can leverage knowledge and technology to help investors avoid falling prey to fraudulent schemes. In the financial markets, preventing fraud is not just an individual responsibility but a mission for the entire industry. Through Mason’s efforts, we see how a positive industry leader can protect investors and foster a safer, more transparent investment environment. Let us all support and follow the example set by William Mason, ensuring a more secure and informed trading experience for everyone. Investors, remember: only with adequate knowledge and vigilance can you navigate the stock market successfully. Be cautious, stay informed, and together we can move towards a brighter and safer financial future.
    • MSTR Elliott Wave Analysis Trading Lounge Daily Chart, MicroStrategy Inc.,(MSTR) Daily Chart MSTR Elliott Wave Technical Analysis FUNCTION: Counter Trend MODE: Corrective   STRUCTURE: Flat POSITION: Minute {iv}. DIRECTION: Bottom in wave {iv}. DETAILS: Looking for a bottom in wave {iv} to then continue higher in wave {v} of 1 or else there is a case we are in Minor wave 5 and we could be topping in wave (5).   MSTR Elliott Wave Analysis Trading Lounge 4Hr Chart, MicroStrategy Inc.,( MSTR) 4Hr Chart MSTR Elliott Wave Technical Analysis FUNCTION: Counter Trend MODE: Corrective   STRUCTURE: Flat POSITION: Wave (c) of {iv}. DIRECTION: Bottom in (c).   DETAILS: Looking for an ending diagonal in wave (c) of {iv}to be in place, otherwise we could have topped in wave {v} where current wave (b) is and we could be headed lower.   Welcome to our latest Elliott Wave analysis for MicroStrategy Inc. (MSTR) as of June 18, 2024. This analysis provides an in-depth look at MSTR's price movements using the Elliott Wave Theory, helping traders identify potential opportunities based on current trends and market structure. We will cover insights from both the daily and 4-hour charts to offer a comprehensive perspective on MSTR's market behavior. * MSTR Elliott Wave Technical Analysis – Daily Chart* In our Elliott Wave analysis of MicroStrategy Inc. (MSTR), we observe a counter-trend corrective pattern characterized by a flat structure. MSTR is currently positioned in minute wave {iv}, suggesting a potential bottom in wave {iv}. This bottom could lead to a continuation higher into wave {v} of 1. However, there is also a scenario where we might be in Minor wave 5, and if this is the case, MSTR could be approaching a top in wave (5). Traders should watch for confirmation of the bottom in wave {iv} to assess the likelihood of an upward move in wave {v}. This could provide strategic entry points if the anticipated trend unfolds as expected.   * MSTR Elliott Wave Technical Analysis – 4Hr Chart* On the 4-hour chart, MSTR is following a counter-trend corrective mode within a flat structure, specifically in wave (c) of {iv}. The analysis suggests that we may be forming an ending diagonal in wave (c) of {iv}, which often signals the conclusion of the corrective phase. Alternatively, if the market has already topped in wave {v} at the position of the current wave (b), MSTR might head lower. Traders should be vigilant for signs of the ending diagonal being completed in wave (c) of {iv} and watch for potential downside movements if the wave {v} top scenario plays out.   Technical Analyst : Alessio Barretta Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
us