What to do next?

Ok...Guess you have seen the below...This relates to the dax...but dont forget  76% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading

•  
    29% of IG client accounts with open positions in this market expect the price to rise
  •  
    71% of IG client accounts with open positions in this market expect the price to fall
  • 501 + IG client accounts have open positions in this market
8 hours ago, dan-is-dead said:

Ok...Guess you have seen the below...This relates to the dax...but dont forget  76% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading

•  
    29% of IG client accounts with open positions in this market expect the price to rise
  •  
    71% of IG client accounts with open positions in this market expect the price to fall

yes, the majority are always looking for major reversals and usually get it wrong while the rest just look for minor reversals as in buying the pullback (dip) to catch the trend.

• Like 1
  • Thought provoking 1
9 hours ago, dan-is-dead said:

•  
  •  

Sometimes the punters are right, so don't rely on this thing-a-ma-jiggit exclusively 🤔

Edited by dmedin

Hi - I would take the Sentiment readings with a pinch of salt - it would be better if a quick survey was taken when placing positions as 95% of those trades/position could be trading short-term intraday directional trades

If one of my methods shows up on a chart I trade it, regardless of sentiment readings 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, THT said:

Hi - I would take the Sentiment readings with a pinch of salt - it would be better if a quick survey was taken when placing positions as 95% of those trades/position could be trading short-term intraday directional trades

If one of my methods shows up on a chart I trade it, regardless of sentiment readings 

Totally agree.  Provision of sentiment data is purely a marketing tool.  Brokers make money through activity, so anything which encourages placing of bets / trades is good from their perspective. 

• Like 1

Dailyfx that provides the sentiment indicator with the IG client positioning has always promoted it as a contrarian indicator and have done a lot of research and data collection over the years to back up that view.  They did have it all published on their web site and presume it's still there if anyone wants to look.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

Dailyfx that provides the sentiment indicator with the IG client positioning has always promoted it as a contrarian indicator and have done a lot of research and data collection over the years to back up that view.  They did have it all published on their web site and presume it's still there if anyone wants to look.  

Their bullish/bearish recommendations are all over the place though.  They were advocating going short EUR/USD just two or three days ago despite most clients being short, and now look at what's happened to it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dmedin said:

Their bullish/bearish recommendations are all over the place though.  They were advocating going short EUR/USD just two or three days ago despite most clients being short, and now look at what's happened to it.

yes they did try to develop it into something more than just a 'do the opposite' indicator and that's what a lot of the data research over the years went into but I never looked at the detail myself and not sure how that part is supposed to work.

On 26/05/2020 at 06:43, Caseynotes said:

yes, the majority are always looking for major reversals and usually get it wrong while the rest just look for minor reversals as in buying the pullback (dip) to catch the trend.

Too right Caseynotes....

Trends are your friend......stick long when you wrote this and you would be up!

Bet you would still be long and up end of this week?

Dan 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dan-is-dead said:

Too right Caseynotes....

Trends are your friend......stick long when you wrote this and you would be up!

Bet you would still be long and up end of this week?

Dan 

I tend to stick to short term trades so if the daily candle is green and price is above the daily pivot I would be looking for longs, if the opposite would look for shorts.

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

We’re always looking for ways to improve your experience on our platform. That’s why we’re considering new ways to enhance your journey before you place a trade.

As such, we’ve designed a brief poll to understand which market and pre-trade analysis you find useful – as well as any additional features or improvements you’d like to see on our platform.

Your input will help us determine the type of tools you’d like added to the market details section of our client sentiment indicator.

Your opinions directly affect the improvements we make to our platform, so head over to the poll to cast your vote now.

The poll closes on Friday 29 July 2022, so be sure to submit your vote before then.

All the best - MongiIG