Platforms and API down again today

The system is not down. Its been taken down at request of the large organisations. I would love to see someone tell me formally this is not true and i will show why it is. Keep digging fellow users and you will see how we are being screwed by companies we trust and put our money into.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Nick1000 said:

I use CMC Markets as my second platform.  They offer much tighter spreads on smaller caps outside the FTSE100.  Their range of markets is smaller and their funding rates are slighter higher which are negatives.  And bizarrely they don't volume info if you use this.

Thanks, I'll have checkout CMC Markets and sign up.

With IG's constant problems, it's certainly going to be safe to have another platform.

The API is back up and running. At least for me, I hope it is ok for you guys as well.

No one can defend that we are seeing technical issues. Same repeated behaviour over 3 days at the same time, the US market opening.

Many other users from other brokers have reported the very same type of issues all over the world.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jlz said:

The API is back up and running. At least for me, I hope it is ok for you guys as well.

No one can defend that we are seeing technical issues. Same repeated behaviour over 3 days at the same time, the US market opening.

Many other users from other brokers have reported the very same type of issues all over the world.

"Technical Issues" or policy decisions?

1 hour ago, CharlotteIG said:

Hey, 

I can only apologise for that's happening. 

I'm not defending what's happening. We're working to get the login issue sorted (updates here: https://status.ig.com/). 

I can assure you though that these are technical issues. We wouldn't put or reputation on the line to try and steal money from traders. I know this doesn't make it any better. 

I'm waiting on updates to give. Massive apologies, I completely understand everyone's frustrations. 

Hello, if it is not the plan of stealing money, how much time do you do this, yesterday also same issue, long ago when Wallstreet up by 1000pts same issue, only when your users lose your platform works is it?

I have a trading account with IG for well over 10 years these issues that i or everybody has seen was not like this say over 3 years ago its only the last few years that the issues we are having are a regular occurrence..

3 days of issues around the same time frame just after 2:30pm but also if you trade at 8am opening although your trade is there as you can see it in p/l the trade is not showing in open trades on android devices but it shows on the computer platform i have told IG about these over 6 months ago still not fixed although they keep sending out updates for the mobile platform hoping a fix would be part of the update but not...When i try & close the position it states error has occurred cant close the position as i was in profit of £70 when i eventually it allowed me to close the position it was - £7 but when i closed it the positions showed up on both mobile devices which is VERY VERY STRAGE not the 1st time this happens but if you trade around 8:05am it allows you to put the trade on with no issues...HHmmmmmm

Yesterday i tried to put a trade on just after 2:30pm but i couldn't as it kept saying price has changed like the price that i am being offered is not the price so there is a lag or delay on the price. .Eventually when i managed to get into a trade it would not allow me to move my stop or limit as it kept coming back with error..

Today i tried to put a trade on at around 14:40 pm when i did all 3 of my device mobile/tablet/computer has issues with the platform STRANGE although my charts on the computer were still moving i called IG & spoken with the help desk they could see my trade but also offered me if i wanted to close the position which means they still had control of the platform & it was just effecting the users & not IG as a whole.. around 1hr later everything is working again STRANGE again...For a company that makes well over 70 million plus a year they would have the infrastructure IE: servers/apps/networks that could handle these issues with out any problems at all but also have a failover/mirror which if anything goes **** up which clearly happens on a regular basis it fails over the mirror so the users would not get or see any issues....

Edited by Richiep123
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, senil said:

They are making so much money they dont care, we are canon fodder!

We're not happy about what happened today and it's made traders upset which is something we never want. We're doing everything we can to correct positions and want anyone who has affected positions to please reach out to us so we can correct them. 

Apologies again from IG

2 hours ago, CharlotteIG said:

Hey, 

I can only apologise for that's happening. 

I'm not defending what's happening. We're working to get the login issue sorted (updates here: https://status.ig.com/). 

I can assure you though that these are technical issues. We wouldn't put or reputation on the line to try and steal money from traders. I know this doesn't make it any better. 

I'm waiting on updates to give. Massive apologies, I completely understand everyone's frustrations. 

this is not good Charlotte, I haven't used IG for a few years and it seems the service reliability has really dropped, I've just invested not insignificantly in integrating my trading algo with your API

Can you give us a timescale for when these reliability issues will be solved?

IG Nokia NOK the last straw.

Shocking, Ive had this happen countless times with IG every time there is an actual opportunity to trade volitility retail are blocked out until the position is crushed due to buying blocked out how convenient that seems.

I am now even more fed up of being blocked from taking profits, can't close position due to either platform not functioning or "outages "  in which IG are still able to seek positions and deal themselves and blame other factors

Why is it every single time your position only comes live again is when its dropped way past your stop limit e.g £1100 stop loss then opens briefly to a -£1800 and closes you

Then if you want re buy at the lower point the margin moves from (Nokia) 28th jan 21) 11am £50pp £4500 margin needed to £50pp £21,000.00 equity needed in the same day . 
After being blocked to sell at a £2500 profit by the 'platform' and market "outage"
until my position is forced down by no one being able to buy the market im kicked out with a £1800 loss 

Then attempt to re buy on another Nokia instrument that is open (green light) with a £200 stop loss and immediately then goes dark and fires in a £875 loss 

In what way are IG acting in clients interest here, if your not able to offer instruments fit for purpose how can the FCA allow you to provide them 

Complaints team call me to apologise for the situation and their very poor email response that was shocking in all honesty,  this proceeds with a first seemingly helpful agent wishing to rectify the situation.
Firstly offering me to be put in a overall position of £380 .00 ish up on the 2 trades yesterday. but wait....

I explain I was un able to close the position continuously while it bounced £2300 to £2800 profit for a good while and while I appreciate his offer could he not try a bit better to put me right.

He then comes back on the phone to tell me its not IG's fault and their system was faultless ! this is not true and I logged earlier screen shots with positions marked at £1395 profit and £1780 profit which were also not able to be closed due to failings of IG

The best bit of all is now they won't offer any compensation at all now and blame the underlaying market conditions of why then can't provide exactly what they advertise to be able to do.

Im not letting it go this time around ive spent a small fortune on IG's services for years and this is how retail clients are treated. 

Ive not even been offered to be completely zeroed on yesterday's trading when I should of had a £2500 rare opportunity to make a profit.

3 hours ago, jlz said:

My guess is "orchestrated cut from liquidity providers" so brokers have to prioritise professional accounts over retail to fill their obligations.

although I can imagine a cut in liquidity would cause orders not to be filled, I don't think it would explain :-

1. Why cannot access myig and then the platform
2. Why the price feed stopped working through the API 
3. Why sometimes myig worked but could not switch accounts

My guess, for what it is worth, is there is a significant increase in users around the US open and for some reason now the IG systems cannot cope, maybe there has been a sudden increase, or a significant build up since the beginning the of year.

3 hours ago, jlz said:

My guess is "orchestrated cut from liquidity providers" so brokers have to prioritise professional accounts over retail to fill their obligations.

Also IG do not in general hedge individual trades (there maybe exceptions for some clients) most of what is bet there are taking the other side of and they hedge an aggregate of the total positions, 75% of IG retail users lose, there is a lot more money in taking the otherside instead of just the spread.

5 hours ago, Pitt said:

The system is not down. Its been taken down at request of the large organisations. I would love to see someone tell me formally this is not true and i will show why it is. Keep digging fellow users and you will see how we are being screwed by companies we trust and put our money into.

Prove your assertion that "its been taken down at the request of the large organisations"  please 

Edited by Morpheus
5 hours ago, Pitt said:

I am aware some users are logged in and fine. Hence knowing accounts being marked.

Proves nothing, sometimes I could log in during the outage, it very much looked like a system overload problem to me.

Edited by Morpheus
3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Proves nothing, sometimes I could log in during the outage, it very much looked like a system overload problem to me.

Do you work for IG?

I have an idea! Why don't we let IG explain what the problem is and what they are doing to fix it instead of having everyone second guess. Now that would be ground-breaking wouldn't it?

Cmon Charlotte, what's been causing the outages? More of the same next week?

12 hours ago, Morpheus said:

although I can imagine a cut in liquidity would cause orders not to be filled, I don't think it would explain :-

1. Why cannot access myig and then the platform
2. Why the price feed stopped working through the API 
3. Why sometimes myig worked but could not switch accounts

My guess, for what it is worth, is there is a significant increase in users around the US open and for some reason now the IG systems cannot cope, maybe there has been a sudden increase, or a significant build up since the beginning the of year.

Great questions, I mentioned a cut in liquidity because that is normally the reason why brokers stop allowing access. Usually because of high volatility and unavailability of market makers.

I can tell that the API fails at retrieving the user account, it is able to authenticate and throws an exception when tries to get the account. This would align with the point that is able to load MyIG and not able to change accounts.

What I don't understand is how many brokers around the world have reported the same issue. And that is what led me to the common point they all have, access to the underlying market. 

You made a point mentioning that a broker takes the other side of the bet. If there is a cut from their providers they cannot hedge the bet in the market so they have to realise any spike in volatility as losses. Many users, from many brokers, have mentioned that they saw their access restored when their profits deflated, i.e. Richiep123's comment above. 

Things add up if we mix plenty of users trying  to catch the moment at the US opening and brokers not willing to support their bets. 

Edited by jlz
7 hours ago, Ikechukwu said:

Do you work for IG?

I have an idea! Why don't we let IG explain what the problem is and what they are doing to fix it instead of having everyone second guess. Now that would be ground-breaking wouldn't it?

Cmon Charlotte, what's been causing the outages? More of the same next week?

No I don't work for IG, but I do have 40 years experience in software development, and what I saw weemed to be  symptoms of a system that could not cope with demand. I do not buy the conspiracy theories about specific users being targeted nor "the big boys" calling the shots.

IG have stated technical problems, I believe that, but do not misunderstand me, I am very unhappy with the robustness of their systems at the moment and like everyone require assurances that what happened yesterday and the day before  won't happen again, Ive recently made a not insignificant investment to integrate my algo with the IG API.