NDX

1 hour ago, THT said:

Plan to write a plan! 

It's not easy, but its also not hard once you have clarity of mind and know what the market is likely to give

for example - a lot of my trade plan is

1. Trade EVERY opportunity - If opportunity does not show do not trade!
  2. Risk 2% of my account per trade
  3. Enter at X - determined by method
  4. Stop will be X pts
  5. Target is X pts - determined by method
  6. Once up X pts move stop to breakeven + 1pt
  7. Then once up 50% of the range from entry to target protect x% of open profits
  8. Accept most of the time this will work out perfectly but there will be times when it doesn't and 

the hard part is working out the X parts - because we'd love 1000000000 points from the market, but if it only gives 100 points building a method/strategy for 1000000000 pts ain't going to be much good

very good template, thank you very much!  I started with something similar (screenshots below) - will use your template as a guideline to improve 

trade_rationales.png

tj.png

Edited by HMB
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, HMB said:

T_reasons.png

tj.png

whatever suits your style

Interesting you use the 50% Level - I'm just writing up a post on the 50% level as a trading method - as we speak - for my "How to Win" page

Only thing I'll say is whatever method you design/use make sure you test it to oblivion and back - a huge amount of methods work fine on paper but in the real world of live trading fail

4 minutes ago, THT said:

whatever suits your style

Interesting you use the 50% Level - I'm just writing up a post on the 50% level as a trading method - as we speak - for my "How to Win" page

Only thing I'll say is whatever method you design/use make sure you test it to oblivion and back - a huge amount of methods work fine on paper but in the real world of live trading fail

The 50% level I considered relevant at that specific time, based on the overall impression I got from recent observation.  Not thinking about using this as a general specification.  To be honest, I do not see myself having a "method" that would be explicitly defined enough to be tested in that sense in the near future.  My focus is still more on understanding and identifying changes in dynamics and maintaining a flexible approach.  Kinda every trade can be motivated by a totally different set of factors.  Maybe that's fundamentally wrong, maybe I'm just at an earlier stage of a learning process.  Will keep thinking about that. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, HMB said:

The 50% level I considered relevant at that specific time, based on the overall impression I got from recent observation.  Not thinking about using this as a general specification.  To be honest, I do not see myself having a "method" that would be explicitly defined enough to be tested in that sense in the near future.  My focus is still more on understanding and identifying changes in dynamics and maintaining a flexible approach.  Kinda every trade can be motivated by a totally different set of factors.  Maybe that's fundamentally wrong, maybe I'm just at an earlier stage of a learning process.  Will keep thinking about that. 

Not all you can win in the markets by flipping a coin, so differing factors are valid

• Like 1

...enjoying the ability to experiment risk-free in the demo account - adding an "emergency budget" of 10 for cases when attractive opportunity incidentally emerges after loss limit hit... - going long NDX with minimum stop distance and stop below day low after perceived probably successful retest of said low...:

US Tech 100 Cash (£1)_20200916_12.51.png

2 minutes ago, HMB said:

...enjoying the ability to experiment risk-free in the demo account - adding an "emergency budget" of 10 for cases when attractive opportunity incidentally emerges after loss limit hit... - going long NDX with minimum stop distance and stop below day low after perceived probably successful retest of said low...:

US Tech 100 Cash (£1)_20200916_12.51.png

(...after market oscillating in rel. wide range...  SnowFlake +150% or so may reboost tech sentiment...  Fed "anxiety" should keep (short) sellers in check...)

long NDX in the demo account (posting this here to give it some more emotional commitment...), stop 10625.

some NDX rebound would have been due today without the leak, I guess...  not least due to futures stabilizing after Friday cash close, and strength of recent oscillation pattern...  

market being surprised that banks profit from money laundering, sure... probably more surprised they got caught again... if anything...   (plus no banks in NDX)

alternative narrative - for everyone bored by China virus conspiracy theories...:

facts:

- lenders (incl. JPM) tightened standards during crisis - see e.g. WSJ May 25th

- mainstream lending facility still has only used 0.3% of capacity (recent Powell statement)

- leak of money laundering records came from FinCEN, a US Treasury unit

conspiracy theory:

Treasury unhappy with banks' lending reluctance plans to take banks under control - explicitly or implicitly - to boost lending activity.

more advanced conspiracy theory:

Treasury plans to take banks under control to boost lending activity - to an extent that eventually makes MMT/MP3  seem unnecessary, at which point banks get privatized again...  motivator are of course the banks themselves who profit massively from Fed asset purchases, and are scared of losing said profits if the Fed would start lending to Treasury directly under MMT-motivated MP3...

let me know what you think ...

;)

this is not investment advice..

Edited by HMB
  • Like 1
On 21/09/2020 at 13:35, HMB said:

long NDX in the demo account

closed.   definitely doesn't look like the rebound I was expecting.  don't really have much to hold against Mike Wilson's warning..

Edited by HMB

...I take the failed rebound extension as indication that all the (retail) money is probably already in or waiting for better levels...  and Wall Street might even sell a bit to get prices closer to attractive entry levels...

too much negative influences on sentiment recently: Wilson, the super rich getting ever more careful, 2nd wave fears, election risk...  valuations...  battery day disappointment... profit taking approaching month/q end...  seems much easier to construct a bearish narrative for the near future..

but then I might obviously be wrong.  don't try this at home..

Edited by HMB