Indices

9 hours ago, 786Trader said:

Then hang on to your shorts as it's big swinging cahones time.

If folks did a staggered entry and exit with amounts they are comfortable with they would be dancing to the Hokey Pokey instead.

Everybody form a circle
Put your left foot in
Your left foot out
Your left foot in
And shake it all about
You do the hokey pokey
And turn yourself around

Now put your right foot in
Your right foot out
Right foot in
Then you shake it all about
And then you do the hokey pokey
Turn yourself around
That's what it's all about

Edited by AndrewS
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, dmedin said:

There's perfect money-losing market behaviour for you.  At least six fake breakouts, three on either side.  Enjoy losing money when betting either way :D

138082844_Germany30_20200810_09_14.thumb.png.50cc7d2bba0dd165bafa146e0ea13b72.png

Most breakouts of a range fail, most reversals of a trend fail.

• Thought provoking 1

God **** I don't understand these markets 

Headline news British economy suffered record collapse in the second quarter

FTSE rises fast from open  and I drop 500 in about 25 minutes!  😖

Looks like one of the biggest bullish 30min candles in weeks. 

That's it I am staying away from the 'Open', don't know diddlysquat about it 

Edited by DavyJones
18 minutes ago, DavyJones said:

God **** I don't understand these markets 

Headline news British economy suffered record collapse in the second quarter

FTSE rises fast from open  and I drop 500 in about 25 minutes!  😖

Looks like one of the biggest bullish 30min candles in weeks. 

That's it I am staying away from the 'Open', don't know diddlysquat about it 

the market is not the economy, the companies that make up the ftse are big internationals and have their biggest market in the US so ftse and dax will follow the US indices which are an expression of future confidence in the US economy and so the US consumer. The UK market is not that important to them. 

image.thumb.png.0b23ee2c7642d35b35bafbeb5bf72f4d.png

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

the market is not the economy, the companies that make up the ftse are big internationals and have their biggest market in the US so ftse and dax will follow the US indices which are an expression of future confidence in the US economy and so the US consumer. The UK market is not that important to them. 

after I posted that I check the 250, that's much more UK focused I'd imagine. That gapped down

2 minutes ago, DavyJones said:

after I posted that I check the 250, that's much more UK focused I'd imagine. That gapped down

yes, smaller companies. also you are right to avoid the open when there is always turmoil with big volumes going through in both directions, rather wait for things to settle and one way direction to the next level is established. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

yes, smaller companies. also you are right to avoid the open when there is always turmoil with big volumes going through in both directions, rather wait for things to settle and one way direction to the next level is established. 

another lesson learned! I think I'll have to turn to swing trading , my Day trading is just not looking  feasible 

6 hours ago, DavyJones said:

another lesson learned! I think I'll have to turn to swing trading , my Day trading is just not looking  feasible 

With higher time frames and looser stops you're less beholden to 'events', this is evidenced by backtesting using a purely mechanical approach and simply following the signals.  Responding to events is a mug's game anyway because there will always be 'unexpected' announcements...

57 minutes ago, dmedin said:

With higher time frames and looser stops you're less beholden to 'events', this is evidenced by backtesting using a purely mechanical approach and simply following the signals.  Responding to events is a mug's game anyway because there will always be 'unexpected' announcements...

thanks dude, problem is that some news events are quick wins like HERTZ EasyJet,  but Indices I find it difficult to work out