Jump to content

Indices


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JESS ........TWO BARKS FOR BUY     ONE BARK FOR SELL   ???

That is the 50% retrace for  the Dow and S&P. 

It's the opposite, I don't think I'm cut out for day trading.  I still would have been better off keeping a position open from Christmas, even now.  I zoomed out to the day chart and the overall pictu

Posted Images

2 hours ago, dmedin said:

 

I've never actually seen a trade wizard master the ups and downs of the minute time frame.  Maybe those people are actually all full of ****?

 

If you have never seen one, become one!

On another note, I have increased my Nasdaq long. Waiting for confirmation before contemplating going all in for the day.

  • Like 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, dmedin said:

Shorting into such a strong uptrend is like p!ssing into the wind ...

Yes all the dip buyers make it hard shorting

Did not trade today because i suck at trading😉

But maybe something like this for those that can?

2 short scalp 20-30 points or so?

If i had placed a trade i had probably **** it up😄

DAX 18 Feb 2020.png

  • Like 1
  • Great! 1
Link to post
30 minutes ago, dmedin said:

It's DEAD EASY in hindsight!  Anyone can produce a graph and say 'You should have bought here!' and 'You should have sold there!' :D

 

Or, it might go HERE or it might go THERE!  Or it might go somewhere else!  Who the heck knows :D

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Caseynotes said:

"The drumbeat of U.S. equity perma-bears has been a constant in my 45 years as a trader"

 

Burton Malkiel effectively says the same thing when he recommends passive index tracking.

Wonder why IG didn't include 'A random walk down walk street' in their list of top trading books instead of books by bragging bravados and other trading hucksters?

Edited by dmedin
Link to post
8 minutes ago, HPbrand said:

I'm confident it is going higher. Take the profits when it reaches target.

Difficulty is finding a way back in.  I've lost a sh!t ton of money trying to 'time' my way in and out, long and short, when if I'd just sat and done nothing with a buy and hold I'd still be in profit.

Someone please put me out of my misery.

Link to post
10 minutes ago, dmedin said:

 

Burton Malkiel effectively says the same thing when he recommends passive index tracking.

Wonder why IG didn't include 'A random walk down walk street' in their list of top trading books instead of books by bragging bravados and other trading hucksters?

WALL street.  **** 🤡

Link to post
3 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Someone please put me out of my misery.

If all else fails, B&Q sells ropes. 

Joking aside, you need to get in when people are waiting but indications for upside.

Edited by HPbrand
  • Great! 1
Link to post
11 minutes ago, HPbrand said:

If all else fails, B&Q sells ropes. 

Joking aside, you need to get in when people are waiting but indications for upside.

Why make the effort and take the risk when buy and hold has actually been proven (as close as is possible in finance) to work?

Why trade in a 90% chance for a 10% chance?  Who actually manages to make money shorting the U.S. indices in the last 10 years?

Edited by dmedin
Link to post
17 minutes ago, HPbrand said:

Joking aside, you need to get in when people are waiting but indications for upside.

 

Doesn't really matter, sometimes the indicators work and sometimes they don't. 

All you can do is hope you don't keep losing.

Link to post
7 minutes ago, dmedin said:

 

Doesn't really matter, sometimes the indicators work and sometimes they don't. 

All you can do is hope you don't keep losing.

your job is to find a combination of several indicators that when they converge give a proven probability of a successful outcome on a time frame and market you are comfortable trading on, keep looking. Plenty of people have found 2 crossing MAs can work just fine when applied to a trending chart. 

Link to post
14 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

your job is to find a combination of several indicators that when they converge give a proven probability of a successful outcome on a time frame and market you are comfortable trading on, keep looking. Plenty of people have found 2 crossing MAs can work just fine when applied to a trending chart. 

Not looking at short term charts now.  Day time frame minimum.  You might have heard me say this before and I broke my own rule after seeing people tout the benefits of their 15 minute, hourly etc charts.  It's just an unmitigated disaster.  I can kind of see in theory how you can profit by them, but in practice I see now how useful these so-called 'indicators' are on a short time interval and how quickly and unexpectedly they reverse.  It's total f*king ****, and I am a weakminded idiot for believing it.

Link to post
3 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Not looking at short term charts now.  Day time frame minimum.  You might have heard me say this before and I broke my own rule after seeing people tout the benefits of their 15 minute, hourly etc charts.  It's just an unmitigated disaster.  I can kind of see in theory how you can profit by them, but in practice I see now how useful these so-called 'indicators' are on a short time interval and how quickly and unexpectedly they reverse.  It's total f*king ****, and I am a weakminded idiot for believing it.

the time frame is irreverent to the process, choose whatever time frame and market you are most comfortable with and then find ... 

Edited by Caseynotes
  • Great! 1
Link to post
49 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Why trade in a 90% chance for a 10% chance?  Who actually manages to make money shorting the U.S. indices in the last 10 years?

Just because muppets like Mr Nenner manages to get decade of losses under his belt, doesn't mean others with half a brain has to follow suit.

Going short is not the way to go mate. Dow is going to 30000+ sometime later this year. Shorter term corrections yes, but shorting to eternity will result in people holding cups asking for spare change.

  • Great! 1
Link to post
33 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Wait!  Now it's dropping again!  Go short go short!  This short term trading melarkey is so profitable :D

This is called profit taking. Day trading means taking profits FAST when opportunity arises. You must do the same because the longer you are in a trade, the more risks you are taking (in day trading).

Link to post
5 minutes ago, HPbrand said:

This is called profit taking. Day trading means taking profits FAST when opportunity arises. You must do the same because the longer you are in a trade, the more risks you are taking (in day trading).

You mean, watching charts like a hawk all day long and scalping bits and pieces here and there.

Perfectly fine if you're willing to work at trading all day long, 8 - 10 hours ... if you're betting the minimum per point you'll be lucky to come away with £10 - 20 a day, not a bad return for 10 hours' work ... plus all the days when you make a net loss ... great

Link to post

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
      15,142
    • Total Posts
      73,173
    • Total Members
      61,488
    • Most Online
      5,137
      14/01/21 09:51

    Newest Member
    Sanjjay82
    Joined 08/05/21 07:12
  • Posts

    • Yes. IG does trade against retail traders. IG also has a lot of institutional traders. If your are trading low volume stock or Singapore CFD equities, the dealing desk will manually lock your order for a good 30 seconds so that you cannot delete nor change the order price level for the 30 seconds when they there is another bigger clients want to unload.  I have been locked this way as many ast 4 times in the past and cost over SG$10,000 loss. When I called IG, it said the dealing desk manually lock my orders with an excuse they are putting my order on hold so that they hedge it on the Exchange. In the first place I trade CFD and CFD is internal market within IG environment and our trade does not affect the market. It is highly irresponsible to lock our order. My complaints to IG for compensation via calls and emails all went without any positive response and the replies from them are as stated above. CFD market is internal market and our order should not be touched by dealing desk at all time even if there is no liquidity to fill our order then our order should just be left unfilled. At no time our order should never be locked by Dealing desk. To me this is day light robbery. Secondly, IG has deployed internal algorithm to hunt your hard stop losses and also filled in your limit order with a spike to the dot before immediately move in the opposite direction big time. Thirdly, some time IG platform will freeze and unable to re-login back when you are in a trade. This made it extremely dangerous when we cannot see the price action on the chart. This had happened to me a few times. Fourthly, nowadays even if your platform freeze or has other problem on your trade, call to their dealing desk during US market opens 100% of the time no support or dealing desk will pick your calls. My phone was kept ringing for 30mins or more and many different days. This is again does not speak well of the kind of support IG gave clients. The only attraction I use IG is the ease of use of their trading platform. These kind of  underhand tactics above are played out in IG on daily basis which made our day trading very difficult to win. It is very visible if your trade the small time frame how IG's manipulations are done.     The above comes from someone who trade daily with IG for the past 3 years. I am even considering to stop trading through IG because of the above under hand tactics. Sometimes     
    • Does IG aim to profit from client losses? No. Our business model is based on providing individuals with the opportunity to trade the world’s financial markets, in exchange for fair and proportionate transaction fees. It's a well-known fact that trading successfully is difficult, and most speculative traders tend to lose. However, we do not typically benefit from trading losses that an unsuccessful client may experience. Mostly, our clients offset each other’s positions. For example if client A buys one lot of the DAX and client B sells one lot of the DAX, both sides of the trade are covered. This means we're not exposed to the profit or loss of either client. Instead, we make our money via the spread (i.e. the transaction fee) that each client pays to trade. Sometimes, a large majority of clients will trade in one direction. When this happens, we'll protect our exposure to risk by hedging in the underlying market. For example, if client A and client B both buy the DAX, we may buy actual DAX futures. This then covers the amount we'll pay out if both clients are successful.
×
×
  • Create New...