Indices

18 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

We can already see the affect the inflation announcement had on the FTSE today at 9:30, but it's recovered slightly. 

Also today is the start of the Trump impeachment hearings which might also affect the markets. Starting at 10am (I think EST which is 3pm gmt).

How to watch Wednesday's impeachment hearing

CNN Digital Expansion 2018 Veronica Stracqualursi

By Veronica Stracqualursi, CNN

Updated 1103 GMT (1903 HKT) November 13, 2019

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/13/politics/watch-impeachment-hearing-wednesday/index.html?utm_content=2019-11-13T12%3A11%3A07&utm_source=twCNNp&utm_medium=social&utm_term=image

• Like 1

Trump once again took aim at the Federal Reserve’s monetary policy decisions that have left U.S. interest rates higher than many other economies and said he would prefer negative rates.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-trump-trade/trump-says-china-trade-deal-close-but-dashes-hopes-for-signing-details-idUKKBN1XM0JR

The big baby will keep throwing his toys out the pram until he gets what he wants.

The news came out this morning about Germany avoiding a recession in Q3, however with such good news the Dax has still dropped this morning.

We did also had an interview yesterday on why the indices may be dropping. 

Serge Berger is selling S&P 500 & Dax

What is your gut and analysis telling you about the big Indices. Let me know your thoughts on the piece as well as if you agree/ disagree. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Serge also cautioned about Apple in a previous video, but look.

ha ha yes. who really knows the future, I know I don't. What I do know is that the market is always looking for value, when price runs out of buyers it goes down looking for support, when it runs out of sellers it goes up looking for resistance. TA won't tell you where these places are on the chart because price is too fluid (buyers and sellers are whimsical just like you) no matter what time frame you are working on. 

This morning Dax started off looking for support and looks to have found it at S1 (13163) for now at least, fine, great, it doesn't really matter where it found it, only that you are able to recognise that it did.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

What is your gut and analysis telling you about the big Indices. Let me know your thoughts on the piece as well as if you agree/ disagree. 

for some reason the market just won't bend to my will and those dam ned central bankers keep interfering to prevent any kind of a melt down, blo ody ridiculous and irresponsible I know but there it is.

Retail sales and indy production are down because of 18 months of trade war, indices are buying into an increasing likelihood of a progressive resolution of that trade war.

1 hour ago, Caseynotes said:

TA won't tell you where these places are on the chart because price is too fluid (buyers and sellers are whimsical just like you) no matter what time frame you are working on

What do you understand by TA? 

From what I understand of TA, you are using it every day (so am I).  Just because you don't use EWP doesn't mean you're not using TA.

MAs, S/R, pivots, patterns and candle sticks are all TA ...

Edited by dmedin
6 minutes ago, dmedin said:

What do you understand by TA? 

From what I understand of TA, you are using it every day (so am I).  Just because you don't use EWP doesn't mean you're not using TA.

MAs, S/R, pivots, patterns and candle sticks are all TA ...

just meaning that TA is based on historic values that may or may not have any bearing on today's market. For example new news is much more important than yesterday's chart values.

image.png.a12c65a1374af685d9e1d3e44a46dcfb.png

• Like 2
  • Great! 1

The crowd (permabears and top pickers (80% US index retail traders are short)) must be wondering what they're doing wrong as Dow breaks it's all time high for the third day in a row. Ftse wonders about the upcoming election and ASX makes tentative moves against key resistance. Dax's all time high has also just come into view (black line).

S&P makes it's 21st record closing high of the year so far.

image.thumb.png.3c32f3365ddf5166db8ef5aac8961446.png

image.thumb.png.d777d6487977024978e134ce9a7f619e.png

image.png.bd842a2f190116f81411b2d33b4fb024.png

wow, look at this guys, S&P and Dow storming into new all time highs late Friday session not giving a **** it's the weekend. That's more than just bullish confidence. The Trump impeachment hearings are collapsing into farce. COT data is collected on a Tuesday and published Friday night so won't show this move but it looks like the big hedge fund managers are getting off the fence, open interest has been low til now but that looks to be changing.

image.thumb.png.7b440f6ae130323efe7a893fdc57d64a.png

A confluence on the S&p500 on Friday. Resistance turned support just above a big round number as well as a retracement to a daily and weekly R1 pivot and a 20 hour moving average. Notice how the 20 hour moving average looks somewhat more interesting on a 15m chart.

SPX500H1.jpg

SPX500M15.jpg

• Like 2

The spike down in indices in the last hour was the same ol' trade war news, China stating they are less optimistic than the US and feel they have been mislead by recent talks where they felt they had agreement over a rollback of tariffs that the US now say is not the case. After 18 months of this you should be use to it by now. 

image.thumb.png.8fae41db2e53dadd69c5629233069ab4.png

• Great! 1
On 29/10/2019 at 14:26, Caseynotes said:

yes, and no end of customers. S&P passes through the ATH (again) so IG clients move evermore into shorts, now at 78% short.

The market goes up the crowd goes short, you can see why a contrarian view is so popular.

image.png.4ff0e2af5be37538f759015647846d38.png

image.thumb.png.1f4529c149520dc408a770ae01331a1a.png 

Hi, where did you obtain the IG client's sentiments?

So after a break upward yesterday morning was followed by a pullback for the indices with the usual trade dispute back and forward plus an escalation in the Hong Kong protests with a stand off between students and the police plus the US senate getting involved to stir things up.

Looking at the Dax and Dow charts there was a 9am break upwards followed by a reversal, some might say that was a stop run but they are usually not much more than 20 points or so, some might say it was an exhaustion bar on the Dax but exhaustion bars are on the end of a run up or run down not 8 days into a flag. Inevitably some will say it's the beginning of end of the world (again) but it looks just like your average pullback to me.

Looking at the bottom chart compares 2 different assets with 2 similar looking charts, they should be because one is the Dow index while the other is one of the main Dow constituents, the funny thing is that one of the charts 'the crowd' are perpetually heavy on the short side while in the other they are perpetually heavy on the long side 🤔

image.thumb.png.09b7ac19ef1391a3103e5dd156c9ebb5.png

image.thumb.png.f16cc2998506faa7038d7001c1da6bf9.png

image.thumb.png.ecf1830ae80e2290603291abeb303bce.png

spa1.thumb.png.80072abb5607250ec6c19d55f87d2e8c.png

• Great! 1